January 1, 2019
Golf New Year Wishes and Predictions for 2019
Listed are the final top 10 golfers in Golf's World Rankings and my wishes and predictions for them in the coming year.
1. Brooks Koepka – (Wish) Bring the same intensity and concentration to regular PGA events as he does to majors. If so, he could post Tiger Woods like numbers. (Prediction) Only Tiger has shown that type of burning desire, so I don't see him with an eight win season. But I do see a good year and add another major victory.
2. Justin Rose – (Wish) Continued great putting. (Prediction) Today's most consistent top player, if putting holds he will regain the number one ranking and keep it a long time.
3. Dustin Johnson – (Wish) A career defining year. Has the talent, guts, and skill to demolish everyone. At peak of his ability, if he is ever going to put his name in the record books this would be the year. (Prediction) A career year would be 10 wins and at least two major championships. Tall order, but he's capable.
4. Justin Thomas – (Wish) Patience. He is really good, but he pushed too hard to better an unbelievable 2017. Play your game and big wins will come. (Prediction) This year will show how really good Justin is or will become.
5. Bryson DeChambeau – (Wish) Keep doing what you are doing. Love the thinking outside the box. (Prediction) A major is very possible and three to four wins. I don't see him slumping or falling back.
6. Jon Rahm – (Wish) Maturity. Wonderful talent and game. Needs to get more seasoned and not let emotions cloud his judgement. (Prediction) Will continue to improve and be a top ten player for many years.
7. Francesco Molinari – (Wish) Continue his resurgence into the elite circle of golfers in the world. (Prediction) Will have a solid year, but won't match last year's career record.
8. Rory McIlroy – (Wish) Return to form and commitment. (Prediction) Golf is very hard to turn off and turn back on. Something has been missing for a couple of years. I hope he rededicated himself and we see the old Rory in 2019.
9. Tony Finau – (Wish) Learns to close golf tournaments. Talent is there to win multiple times, but doesn't seem to know how to win. (Prediction) Too much talent. He will figure it out. If so, watch out.
10. Xander Schauffele - (Wish) Continue his upward ascent in the World Rankings. (Prediction) The sky is limit for Xander. Could be another Justin Thomas.
11. Rickie Fowler – (Wish) Like the person so much, I wish the ability would match the potential. (Prediction) He will disappoint me again. Will be close, but somehow fail. Hope I'm wrong.
13. Tiger Woods – (Wish) GOOD HEALTH. (Prediction) Was so much fun watching his steady progress throughout last year culminating in the Tour Championship victory. Should he remain healthy, I see no reason not to expect a Tiger Woods season of five wins or more and a major.
Jason Day, Jordan Spieth, Tommy Fleetwood, Bubba Watson, Patrick Reed, Phil Michelson, Hideki Matsuyama, and others along with new players we haven't heard of will make their presence known this coming year. The state of professional golf is overflowing with great players and personalities at the moment. 2019 should be most interesting.
Wishing you all a healthy and prosperous New Year with many birdies and great experiences. All the best!